Newfoundland and Labrador - a rare find


Canada and Newfoundland and Labrador are internationally-recognized for the high quality of our educational institutions. Please see the Learn section of the website for more information on our university, colleges, courses, and opportunities to Study and Stay in Newfoundland and Labrador.


Before You Come

In order to become a student in Canada, you will require a Student Visa, which you apply for after being accepted to your Canadian educational institution. If you wish to work more than 20 hours per week while studying (or more than 40 hours per week during break periods), you will also require a separate Work Permit.

For information and to apply, please visit Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada:

Check Your Eligibility
Student Visa
Student Work Permit


After Graduation

International students attending school in Newfoundland and Labrador are encouraged to stay in the province after graduation. Most graduates qualify for a three-year Post-Graduate Work Permit, accessed through Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. For further information, please visit There are also opportunities to apply for permanent residency and citizenship.

If you are interested in transitioning to permanent residency through one of the provincial immigration programs, please contact the Office of Immigration and Multiculturalism.

Permanent Resident via Canadian Experience Class

Graduate-level students may wish to review the recognition of their academic credentials through the Canadian International Centre for International Credentials:
Get Started